How to find out quantity of steel for RCC Beam, Column, Slab, Foundation & Lintel
Reinforcement is essential for various reinforced concrete members like footings, beams, columns, slabs, lintels etc. The quantity of reinforcement should be calculated before tendering stage to determine the rough cost of project or construction work.
The steel is utilized to prepare concrete to be reinforced and for tension requirements. With the help of bar bending schedule, measurement can be done for the total steel necessary for the construction of a building.
The quantity of steel is based on the type of structure except concrete volume. The quantity of steel is different for several structural members like beam, column, slab, footings etc. The load bearing strength differs for various structural members. Given below, the details about the requirements of steel for various RCC components.
Suppose, a column is required to be constructed with 4% concrete volume. Therefore, the requirement of steel for that column will be as follow :-
= (4/100) x1 x 7850 [ Density of 1m³ steel = 7850 kg]
The following thumb rules can be applied for various RCC members :-
1. Requirement of steel for RCC beam = 1 to 2% or 78.5 kg to 157 kg/m3
2. Requirement of steel for RCC column = 0.8 to 6 % or 62.8 kg to 471 kg/m3
3. Requirement of steel for RCC Slab = 0.7 to 1% or 55 kg to 78.5 kg/m3
4. Requirement of steel for RCC Lintel = 0.7 to 1% or 55 kg to 78.5 kg/m3
5. Requirement of steel for Foundation = 0.5 to 0.8% or 34.25 to 62.8 kg/m3
These belong to approximate estimates. In case of detailed estimates, follow BBS for various components.