Different types of Roof Trusses for diverse lengths
Definition of Truss
- In Architecture and Structural Engineering, a truss refers to a structure having one or other triangular units built up with straight slender members whose ends are tied up with joints called nodes.
- External forces and reactions to those forces are applied at the nodes and bring about forces in the members which seem to be tensile or compressive forces.
- Moments (torsional forces) are specifically eliminated as all the joints in a truss are processed as revolutes.
Given below some useful informations regarding different types of roof trusses in wood and steel and their applications in diverse construction projects.
Various kinds of Wooden and Steel Roof Trusses:
- King Post Truss
- Queen Post Truss
- Howe Truss
- Pratt Truss
- Fan Truss
- North Light Roof Truss
- Quadrangular Roof Truss
Trusses for massive length constructions: Tubular Steel Roof Truss, Tubular Monitor Steel Roof Truss
King Post Truss:
- King Post Truss refers to a timber truss.
- It is also created with wood and steel.
- It is utilized for lengths upto 8m.
Queen Post Truss:
- Queen Post Truss is made of timber.
- It is used for lengths upto 10m.
- It is formed with wood and steel.
- The vertical members or tension members belong to steel.
- It is utilized for lengths from 6-30m.
- Pratt Truss is formed with steel.
- As compared to Fink Trusses, these cost less.
- Vertical members consist of tension and diagonal members are compression.
- It is applied for lengths from 6-10m.
- Steel is the base material.
- Fan trusses are one kind of Fink roof truss.
- In Fan Trusses, top chords are segregated into tiny lengths to facilitate supports for purlins which are not available at joints in Fink trusses.
- It is applied for lengths from 10-15m.
North Light Roof Truss:
- When the floor length goes beyond 15m, it costs less to alter from a simple truss arrangement to one using broad length lattice girders which hold trusses at proper angles.
- In order to enlighten the space properly, roof lighting should be changed or added, there must be provision for side lighting for ventilation form the roof.
- This roof comprised of a wide array of trusses attached to girders. The short vertical side of the truss is enlightened with the intention that when the roof is applied in the Northern Hemisphere, the enlightened portion features North for the superior light.
- It is utilized for lengths from 20-30m.
- Applications can be found for industrial buildings, drawing rooms etc.
Quadrangular roof Trusses: The applications are found for large lengths like railway sheds and Auditoriums.