Geosynthetics in Civil Engineering and Construction
The limited resources of granular and other raw materials have made ways for cost effective and available solutions proved to be beneficial in civil engineering field. Geosynthetics are such an innovation by today’s engineers that simplified lots of complexities existed in a construction process. In an understandable term, Geosynthetics come under synthetic products to stabilize grounds of constructions. The areas of applications of this material extend further than you could imagine. It works as both the fillers of limited raw materials and an alternative, cheap option to solve various civil engineering problems efficiently.
Geosynthetics are gradually making its places where conventional materials are still in high demand. Every year, it enlarges the domains of applications and gives the desired support to the engineered looking for a substitute as strong and durable as the conventional ones.
In a typical engineering term, Geosynthetics are a polymeric material having an extensive usage in the fields of reinforcement, separation, drainage, barrier, erosion control and so on.
Types of Geosynthetics used in civil engineering:
5. Geosynthetic clay liner
8. Geosynthetic clay liner
Applications of Geosynthetics in construction and civil engineering:
• Soil layers separation: Separating soil layers can easily be done by Geosynthetics materials as proficiently as you want. A layer of this material has been laid in between the soil levels you separate. Which type of Geosynthetics will be applied to separate soil layers depends on the surrounding conditions. Generally Geotextile, Geofoam and Geocomposite have been used for this purpose.
• Water filtration: A proper management of water in the construction site is an important thing that every engineer should take care of. But the process involves tough steps, and sometimes mismanagement of waters happens. This leads to a careless formation of gullies that are harmful for any construction. To avert such situation, Geosynthetics have been used that are laid under the hydraulic structures. Since the process is costly, it is better to opt for Nonwoven Geotextiles over other materials to keep the budget within a satisfactory limit.
• Drainage works: Geotextile has been used for drainage works as its three-dimensional structure gives the desired platform for flow of the water through the plane of Geotextiles.
• Soil reinforcement: Geogrids is the core material in the field of soil reinforcement application. It involves labor force to cut the material in proper sizes that perfectly fit in as per the length of sites. This reinforcement has been done in the areas where soil bearing capacity is very poor, especially in landslide prone zones.
• Soil Erosion control: For controlling soil erosions, Geotextiles and mattress have proven the main element. It provides the needed stability to soil. Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, there are still some that add value to civil engineering.
These include: Geosynthetics prove to be savers of both cost and time in constructions. As this material lessens the applications of conventional ones and needs less working force, it has been accepted broadly by engineers.
• This material provides you with a low maintenance requirement due to having a strong structural performance.
• It also contributes to an environmental conservation by cutting down the use of materials in construction sites and helping in an erosion control process.