Checklists for standard brickwork in building construction
All bricks except mud mortar masonry should be properly immersed in clean water for minimum 4 hours in large tank prior to utilize them. The soaked bricks should be heaped on wooden planks to get rid of any stain from soil. The bricks with proper shape and color should be selected and applied for face work.
Given below, some vital checklists for standard brick work :-
1. The thickness of joint in brick masonry should not remain over 1 cm i.e. thickness of joints should not go beyond 6 mm in class A brickwork and 10 mm in class B brick work.
2. The face joints should be sloped to a depth of 15 mm with raking tool while the mortar is still green in order to arrange perfect key for plaster or pointing.
3. Brickwork should be adopted in layers not beyond one meter height at a time.
4. Ensure that the brick work remains in plumb.
5. Make sure that the brick courses remain in level. Brick courses are placed in perfectly horizontal direction & vertical joints are placed in perfectly vertical direction.
6. Verify the quality of bricks based on the following factors.
c. Dimensional accuracy
d. Water absorption
7. Make sure that no brick bats are applied as queen closer.
8. The strength of mortar should be examined by making scratch with sharp tool like screw driver.
9. Verify the quality of sand in mortar. (Conduct test for fineness modulus and silt content).
10. Verify mixing of mortar is performed whether manually or by machine and mixing is prepared on a perfect platform.
11. Verify the arrangements for curing.
12. Make sure the raking of green joints is completed or not.
13. Verify whether soaking of bricks is performed or not.
14. Examine the general quality of works according to lines, levels, thickness and accuracy of the joints.
15. Check that the brick corners are arranged precisely with proper brick closer and devoid of pitting brick bats.
16. Check that top courses in plinth, in window sill and below RCC slab and parapet are arranged with brick on edge.
17. Ensure joints of brick work are filled completely with mortar, examine vertical joints specially.
18. Verify the type of scaffolding and whether it is attached and braced perfectly.
19. Verify whether reinforcement in brick partition wall is arranged or not.
20. Examine binding of cross wall with long walls.
21. Verify whether holes exist in the brick work when implementation of supporting scaffolding is filled with concrete devoid of dry bricks.
22. Half cut bricks should not used except at joints.
23. The slenderness ratio should be verified i.e. effective length or length of wall divided with thickness should remain under 24 for 2 storied and 18 for more than two stories with cement mortar ratio 1:6.