Roofing Cost Estimator - Roofing Cost Calculator
It generally gives the updated estimate of roofing. It is equally applicable in new home and remodeling. Nationally acclaimed author and home builder Carl Heldmann says that it is costly affairs and depends on roofing materials, roof pitch, and labor.
It is measured in square foot. A square is basically to cover 100 square feet (10 feet X 10 feet). But it is not simple. Rather it is tough to those who don't know geometry well.
Heldmann advises to hire good roofing contractors and let him estimate. Now you can make your own calculation and match it with for comprehending the disparity.
Weight: Sometime it is lightweight but sometime it is heavy, when quality weight increases.
Pitch: It is seen that the roofing installation labor boosts as the pitch of the roof increases.
The selling price:
Heldmann's opinion: roof pitch is handy to restore roof costs and new home roof costs more than anything else. Roof pitch is pointed to by a number over a number.
The most common are 3/12, 4/12, 5/12, 6/12 and so on. The higher the top number, the steeper the pitch.
This terminology would be: The pitch of a roof = the rise of the roof in inches over (/) each foot of span (horizontal travel).
Some Important Point to be remembered:-
- A 4/12 pitch, or a 4 over 12 pitch, would mean that there is a rise of 4 inches for every foot measured from the outside edge of the roof towards the center of the roof (horizontal span).
- It is interesting to note that the square feet of shingles (squares) required increases dramatically as the pitch increases. A 12/12 pitch contains twice as much shingle area as a 6/12 pitched roof!
- Roofing contractors charge according to the shingle weight and the roof pitch because the steeper the pitch and the heavier the shingle, the harder their job is.
- I think roof design is the most important component of home design.
- I think that heavier shingles and steeper pitches look great and add curb appeal... if you can afford it.
- Asphalt shingles and fiberglass shingles are warranted according to their weight.
- The least expensive lighter weight shingles carry a 15 year warranty while the heavier more expensive shingles are warranted for up to 25 years.
- Chimneys should be built (finished) before the area surrounding the chimney is shingled.
- Dormers are not only good-looking; they assist in adding cheap living space.
- But dormers are a bit luxurious to build and a steep pitched roof is required to gain that extra living area. But I found that the trade-off for that extra room is worth it.
Image Courtesy: ozgrid.com