Steel can be a useful construction material for creating sustainable building
Steel is becoming a significant construction material in building construction industries as steel can reduce jobsite risks, enhance development through speed and efficiency for getting good returns initially, brings sustainability in construction process, minimize waste.
As per opinion of the US-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, it is found that the number of complex multi-level projects over 200 metres having a steel frame with metal decking, increased 54 per cent all over the world in 2014.
Speed and effectiveness:
- Computer modelling prior to fabrication on computer numerically controlled (CNC) equipment refers to the components which are generated correctly first time and rework is reduced to a great extent.
- The construction work is completed before scheduled time through rapid execution of the project.
- Earlier construction creates more free times for the construction workers to commence the work for next project.
- Steel is a structurally strong building material and the buildings become endurable & lighter and consequently foundations can be smaller.
- Steel is fabricated in controlled conditions motivated thorough 3D modelling and CNC equipment which improve protection and lessen MTIs and LTIs.
- A test certificate can be obtained for all utilized steel and it is detectable through to the finished product.
- Design for consistent bolted connections and cyclical floor plates will boost up speed of construction.
Minimize jobsite risks:
- Application of Steel can decrease the number of workers jobsite (roughly 10 to 20 per cent of the labour necessary for concrete construction) as well as lessen the responsibility of accident for builders.
- Offsite fabrication alleviates congested and hard to access sites
- For domestic housing, steel framing, roofing and cladding provide more termite-free and fire-retardant buildings as compared to other frequently used building materials
Sustainability and waste diminution:
- Waste elimination is considerably reduced as compared to a concrete building.
- Over 95 per cent of all structural steel can be recuperated and reprocessed or reused.
- Structural addition and variation to any steel buildings can be made easily.
- Autonomously certified steel fabricator members of the ASIís Environmental Sustainability Charter bring an additional Green Star point for projects.
- Savings in freight and materials through not having to use and remove temporary formwork.
- The design can be future proofed for long lasting life like provision of large beam penetrations to make room for future services.