Advantages of applying steel fibres in concrete
If steel fibre is used in concrete, the properties of concrete become better. The advantages are given below :-
1. Usually Steel Fibres are circulated all through a specified cross section where reinforcing bars or wires are positioned only where essential.
2. Steel fibres are comparatively short and tightly spaced in relation to continuous reinforcing bars of wires.
3. Usually, it becomes difficult to attain the similar area of reinforcement to area of concrete by steel fibres than applying a network of reinforcing bars of wires.
4. Steel Fibers are generally included with concrete in low volume dosages (frequently less than 1%), and help in minimizing plastic shrinkage cracking.
5. Steel Fibers normally do not considerably adjust free shrinkage of concrete, but at high enough dosages they can improve the resistance to cracking and reduce crack width.
Steel Fibres in Concrete can increase:
. Crack, Impact and Fatigue Resistance
. Shrinkage Lessening
. Toughness- by preventing/delaying crack production from micro-cracks to macro-cracks.
Benifits of Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete:
. SFRC allocates localized stresses.
. Decrease maintenance and repair cost.
. Offers hard and long-lasting surfaces.
. Decreases surface permeability, dusting and wear.
. Cost saving.
. They act as crack arrestor.
. Rises tensile strength and toughness.
. Fight against impact.
. Fight against freezing and thawing